Tuesday, January 18, 2011

re-tired on the beach

The side road to the Melaque view point was worth the trip (forbidden fruit).


But the reason I was in these hills was to drive over to Cuastecometes for the day.


I have mentioned several times that I moved to Mexico to be near the water.  If I had retired in Oregon, I wanted to live on the coast. 


I have an affinity with the water that I cannot quite describe.  But I like it the same way I like tapioca pudding.  If you don't have the same passion, there is no way I can defend it.


The one thing that Melaque lacks is a good swimming-snorkeling beach.  There is Chicken Beach.  But when the beach in Melaque is crowded, Chicken Beach is packed.


But there is a far better choice.  Just over the hills is a lovely little cove.  At the village of Cuastecomates.

 


Great sand with a gently sloping shoreline.  Perfect for wading.  Easy to keep your footing.  With my ankle, that is starting to be an important criteria.


And the town is a tourist paradise.  With very good palapa restaurants.  The type of place that loses all human context the moment the sun goes down.

 
But the thing I like best are the rocks at the each end of the beach.  It is a great place to sit in the sun and read.  I did that the other day with my Kindle.


But I forgot one of the drawbacks of tropical beaches,.  Even though the butterflies are beautiful, their cousins, the mosquitoes, are not as welcome.  If I had remembered my DEET, I would have saved myself a few welts.


I keep forgetting to bring my snorkeling equipment with me on these rare visits.  The rocks should offer some interesting marine life.


Perhaps next trip.  And there will be one.

No comments: